Monday, September 15, 2008

I haven’t felt much like dicking around with this blog thing lately, but I was purging some files and came across a blog I wrote, on another site, awhile back. It was about seeing a band (one of my favorites) from Denver that scheduled a show in San Francisco.  I love strange, live music in small clubs.  Here it is:

Leading With My Shoulder

The place is freaking crowded. I need to get to get to the bar but people are clustering all the way. The greasy-haired cool guys leaning against the cigarette machine with their big feet in the walkway, the pretty girls having a conversation but never looking at eachother. So I lead with my shoulder. I wave my 20 and ah, a drink is in my hand.



The band is about to start. Not THE band, but the band before the band before THE band. San Francisco.  At home it’s 25 degrees, but here - here I am in a tanktop. It’s a good night, even if it does smell like tires in here. 

The first band has me for a while. I like the idea of an accordion as part of the four, but they’re a bit mopey. I’m going to go make eye-contact back at the bar. Saw a few handsome fellas earlier. Lead with my shoulder.

Second band up. The guitarist is wild. He’s playing a red Epiphone with a bow. Alright, kudos to you then. Do something wacky, but he does have soul. I think about my violin lessons and note to myself to take them up again.



I’m not leaving the front. The band is setting up. I like that I don’t see a bunch of pretend roadies setting up their gear for them...Rock and Roll, man. Carry that f-ing amp! That’s what I’d do. Maybe.



The band, yes THE band. 

I’m glad I drove this far to see them. They’re going to haunt me like bearded phantoms for a while. I will talk about how great the show was to everyone. I will replay the 1st song of the 1st set through my head over and over. Show’s over. All I can do is lead with my shoulder and wonder why I am not a rock star.


(France and
 I at the Munly and the Lee Lewis Harlots show at the Hemlock 11/09/06)






No comments: